Actor / Composer / Soundtrack / Musician
John William Lowery (born July 31, 1971), best known by the stage name John 5, is an American guitarist. His stage name was bestowed on him in 1998 when he left David Lee Roth and joined the industrial metal group Marilyn Manson as their guitarist, taking over from Zim Zum. Still going by the name “John 5”, Lowery has since become the guitarist for Rob Zombie.
StrangeLand Oddities & TKO have teamed up to bring John 5 & John 5 and The Creatures to events near you. This includes one or the other as well as both:
- John 5 – solo – in costume – besides booth, Professional Photo Ops with the fans, Panels and tons of merch & signings to do
- John 5 and his band The Creatures – in costume – Professional Photo Ops for the fan, Panels and tons of merch & signings to do as well BUT if you go with option 2 this also includes a LIVE PERFORMANCE whether it be at the after party or during the vent and can even be performed in ACOUSTIC. If you have not seen John 5 live period whether it was with Manson, Zombie or solo you know he puts on one HELL of a show!!!!
- StrangeLand Oddities only handles APPEARANCES for John 5. All Inquiries for all Appearances contact firstname.lastname@example.org. You can contact us concerning media & press for Appearances only as we DO NOT have any ties with John and his music. So please do not contact us about that. We will direct any inquiries regarding John that is non StrangeLand Oddities related inquiries directly to his Manager Dan at TKO at email@example.com
He is also a solo artist having recorded eight guitar albums: Vertigo (2004), Songs for Sanity (2005), The Devil Knows My Name (2007), Requiem (2008), The Art of Malice (2010), God Told Me To (2012), Careful With That Axe (2014), Season of the Witch (2017). He also has a remix album, Remixploitation (2009), and a live album “It’s Alive” (2018). He also works as a staff writer for Chrysalis Records, working with artists such as Matt Ball, Avril Lavigne, Rob Halford, k.d. lang, Garbage, Meat Loaf, Scorpions, Ozzy Osbourne, Slash, FeFe Dobson, Steve Perry, and has written and recorded with southern rock band Lynyrd Skynyrd.
After the recording of Mechanical Animals, Marilyn Manson was again looking for a guitarist to replace Zim Zum who had been dismissed from the band during the recording process. Again John went to try out for the band. Following a tour with Rob Halford in Europe, John received a call from Manson’s manager asking if he would like to meet Manson for lunch. At the meeting Manson asked John to join the band. Lowery accepted and Manson gave him the name “John 5“. As Lowery put it, “right then and there. It was obviously something he’d been thinking about.”. 5 signed on for the Mechanical Animals tour and to work on the next album. His first live performance for Marilyn Manson came on the MTV Video Music Awards.
Lowery worked on Rob Zombie’s 2006 album Educated Horses, co-writing eight out of eleven tracks with Zombie. When he left Loser, Lowery took up the role of Rob Zombie guitarist as a permanent gig. “Rob is the best I have worked with. He’s great. We have a great time on stage together. It has been the single greatest experience I have had working with someone, hands down.”John is also the guitarist on Rob’s latest albums, Hellbilly Deluxe 2, released February 2, 2010,Venomous Rat Regeneration Vendor, released April 23, 2013, and The Electric Warlock Acid Witch Satanic Orgy Celebration Dispenser, released April 29, 2016.
John 5 released his eighth solo album titled Season Of The Witch on March 3, 2017. He released his first live album, It’s Alive, in early 2018 and toured a few months in the US in support of it.
You have seen John 5 in Rob Zombie’s The Lords of Salem
Halvard The Guardian
CREDITS FOR MUSIC:
- Dirty Trixx – 1983 – Guitarist, playing Van Halen covers in a Michigan bar
- Raven Payne – 1987 – Guitarist, at 16 years old
- John Wetton (of Asia) – John’s first paid professional session. “It’s one of the hardest I’ve ever done” states John 5.
- Robin Zander (Cheap Trick singer) – Guitarist, recorded demos
- Pepperland – Guitarist, ghost player
- Wilson Phillips – Guitarist, ghost player
- Salt-N-Pepa – Live Performances including the Jay Leno Show (4/14/1995)
- Rick Springfield – Guitarist, The Day After Yesterday, Tracks 4 and 14
- Night Ranger – Guitarist, ghost player
- Red Square Black – 1994 – Square EP, Lead Guitar
- Lita Ford – 1994–95 – Guitarist, ghost player
- Ryan Downe – 1996 – Guitar on track “Japan” of The Hypocrite Album, plus guitar effects
- froSTed – 1996 – Guitarist
- Leah Andreone – Former Girlfriend, Veiled, Guitar (1996), I Feel the Earth Move, Guitar (1997), Alchemy, Lap Steel Guitar/Guitar (1998), co-wrote ten tracks
- k.d. lang – Guitarist, World Tour 1996, 1997. Onstage ‘Live in Sydney’ VHS Tape
- Various Artists, Speed 2: Cruise Control – 1997 – Guitar and Bass for Soundtrack
- 2wo – 1998 – Voyeurs album, guitar and bass.
- David Lee Roth – 1998, 2003 – Guitarist on DLR Band album, and co-wrote “Thug Pop” on the Diamond Dave (album)
- Marilyn Manson – 1998–2004 – Guitarist, where he got the nickname “John 5” . “Tele addict”. Guitarist. Future (May 2007). Manson has claimed the name derives from Lowery’s first name with the number 5 noting there was a time he considered naming himself and his bandmates with numbers. This continued the departure from the “pin-up + serial killer” naming scheme.
- Garbage – 2003 – Additional guitar on “Never Be Free” b-side, possibly co-written by him as well.
- Loser — 2005–2006 – Guitarist and founder member of Loser. The band had a song (“Disposable Sunshine”) on the Fantastic Four soundtrack and had recorded their debut album Just Like You, but due to conflicting schedules with Rob Zombie, John left the band and Island Records.
- Rob Zombie – 2005 – present – Guitarist, Ozzfest 2005 and albums Educated Horses, Zombie Live, Hellbilly Deluxe 2 and Venomous Rat Regeneration Vendor.
- Meat Loaf – 2006 – Guitarist, song recorded and co-wrote with Nikki Sixx. Bat Out of Hell III: The Monster Is Loose.
- Paul Stanley – 2006 – Co-writer and guitarist on “Where Angels Dare”, a track from the album Live to Win.
- Saliva – 2007 – Guitarist, on the song “Black Sheep” from the album Blood Stained Love Story.
- Static-X – 2007 – First guitar solo on “Cannibal“.
- Scorpions – 2007 – Co-writer and guitarist on “Hour 1”, a track from the album Humanity: Hour I.
- Filter – 2008 – Guitarist, on the album Anthems for the Damned, co writer on two tracks.
- Lynyrd Skynyrd – 2009 – Guitarist – John 5 works with Lynyrd Skynyrd.
- Halestorm – 2009 – Writer- Co-wrote the track “What Were You Expecting”.
- Chuck Mosley – 2009 – Guitar on “The Enabler”, a track from the album Will Rap Over Hard Rock for Food.
- Escape the Fate – 2010 – Composer – Helped compose Escape the Fate’s self-titled album.
- Ricky Martin – 2011 – Guitar and arranger on Martin’s 2010 album Música + Alma + Sexo.
- Hollywood Undead – 2011 – Guitar on “Lights Out” on Hollywood Undead’s 2011 album American Tragedy (credited as John Lowery).
- Sebastian Bach – 2011 – Guitarist and composer on former Skid Row front man Sebastian Bach’s “TunnelVision” song from Kicking & Screaming album.
- Alice Cooper – 2011 – Solo Guitar on “Disco Bloodbath Boogie Fever” from Welcome 2 My Nightmare
- Lynyrd Skynyrd – 2012 – Songwriting on Last of a Dyin’ Breed
- Steve Adler – 2012 – Guest guitarist on the single “Good to Be Bad” off the album Back from the Dead.
- Rod Stewart – 2013 – Co-wrote the track “It’s Over” from the album Time
- Hollywood Undead – 2013 Notes from the Underground – guitars on tracks (1,2,4,8)
- Sebastian Bach – 2014 – Guitarist and composer on former Skid Row front man Sebastian Bach’s “Temptation” song from the album Give ‘Em Hell.
- Ace Frehley – 2016 – Rhythm guitarist on “Parasite” and “Spanish Castle Magic” from the album Origins, Vol. 1
- Steve Perry – 2018 – Guitarist and co-writer on “Sun Shines Gray” from the album Traces